Ensuring safety together in difficult situations
SCHOTT radiation shielding glass provides excellent protection against gamma and X-rays. When it comes to shielding from harmful radiation, no compromises are possible. This is why more and more customers in the fields of medicine, science, and industry are relying on radiation shielding glass from SCHOTT. Safety made in Germany.
SCHOTT is the only company in Germany that manufactures radiation shielding glass, and processes it directly in an expert manner. Thanks to its high density, RD 50® offers high X-ray absorption even with relatively thin glass, and meets the requirements of the German Institute for Standardization, European Standardization and the International Electrotechnical Commission. SCHOTT deliver RD 50® in maximum dimensions in every geometric shape. Upon request, SCHOTT processes its radiation shielding glasses into various versions.Protection meets an almost reflection-free view
The combination of SCHOTT radiation shielding glass RD 50® with the anti-reflective glass SCHOTT AMIRAN® opens up new possibilities for architects, planners, device manufacturers, outfitters and accessories suppliers in the field of radiation protection windows / doors, because the reflections in comparison to conventional radiation shielding glass can be reduced to a minimum. The laminated glass AMIRAN® / RD glass / AMIRAN® offers the best solution for transparency, quality and security requirements.
The combination of SCHOTT radiation shielding glass RD 50® with SCHOTT AMIRAN® ensures the well-known protection against radiation and provides a clear view especially in the examination area. The anti-reflective radiation shielding laminated glass is only slightly thicker than the actual radiation shielding glass and is easy to clean on both sides.
Benefits Uniqueness of SCHOTT radiation shielding glass:
- Reduction of residual reflection by more than 90 %
- High transmission (93 %)
- High mechanical and chemical resistance ensure a long service life and easy cleaning Almost invisible and color neutral enables a perfect viewing
- Best possible protection of the RD glasses also in the construction as laminate
- Glass structure made of AMIRAN® / PVB / RD glass /PVB / AMIRAN®
Area of Applications
- RD 50® is the monolithic X-ray shielding glass with the widest range of thicknesses
- RD 50® provides high X-ray absorption even with thin glass
- RD 50® can be supplied in different versions, including bent shapes
- Other advantages of SCHOTT radiation shielding glass
- RD 50® is available in large sizes
- RD 50® is non-flammable
- RD 50® is more scratch-resistant than acrylic
- higher lead equivalents ( > 6.1mm Pb) can be achieved by using composites
- RD 50® can be processed into insulating glass in combination with sound control or heat protection functions, for example
- RD 50® is available with holes and cut-outs in the desired sizes
- RD 50® can be provided as raw material or finished component and processed:
+ edge and bevel grinded
+ processing into a glass composit
+ cast resin
+ pvb-film laminated
+ insulating glass in combination with e.g. sound control or heat protection function
+ screen printing
- X-ray shielding in hospitals
- X-ray rooms MRI scanning
- observations windows
- door glazing
- nuclear medicine application
- special mitre joint and lamination with float glass allow extended window sizes, creating better observation environments
- multiple glazing units providing shaped observation solutions
Meets the requirements of the German Institute for Standardization, European Standardization, and the International Electrotechnical Commission.
RD 50® satisfies the requirements of DIN EN 61331-2 and IEC 61331-2.SCHOTT RD 50® for PET applications
Due to its special composition, RD 50® is also ideal for use in PET applications, and offers an excellent protective effect. RD 50® can thus be used in combination with PET and CT.